Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Tailwinds

Last Sunday I paddled the shores of Lake Michigan from the Wilderness State Park entrance to Mackinac City and back with a local friend. Under azure partly sunny skies and on clear aquamarine great lakes seas we paddled toward Big Mac, the four-mile suspension bridge celebrating it's 50th anniversary of completion this summer, and solely responsible for the connection of the Lower and Upper peninsulas of Michigan. We michiganders owe the Mackinac Bridge Authority thanks for their continued successful management of this bridge.

We expected east to southeast winds throughout the day and anticipated paddling our return in tailwinds and following seas. Waves built as we lunched on the shores of the mighty bridge, and on our return back, we found ourselves in 3'-4' confused following seas as we crossed Trail's End and Cecil Bays. The kind of ride where you have to keep your hips loose and your hands from getting behind you, and resist relaxing on the wave. Good bracing practice. The topography at the tip of the mitten seems to split the east winds, which come back together from over sea and land at Trail's End Bay. As a result, we had following seas with a quartering chop.

I love the Greenlander in these conditions; it's a bit sensitive due to it's hull cross section, more grippy than slidy like my Pintail, but it really cooks in following seas and wind. Oftentimes I can catch a wave from atop it, drop into it and catch the one ahead.

We were able to enjoy some extended rides, dipping to maintain course and speed, and brace from occasional quartering waves, making excellent time on our return and getting in some good practice for an upcoming trip to the Apostle Islands in fall.


3 comments:

IowaAdmin said...

I enjoyed reading your kayak postings. A mutual friend, Leon Yu, told me about your blog. We're heading to the Apostle Islands this coming Saturday for a week of kayaking.

keith wikle said...

This is one of my favorite paddles to do in the state.

Great photo too!

Tim said...

Hey thanks guys.

Iowaadmin, I like your blog also and I'm glad Leon passed it on to me. I've been contemplating geocaching for awhile as another great way to get out, and put my GPS to use. I hope you don't mind if I link to your blog.

Keith, are you the kayak surfer and cyclist from the west side? If so, complements on your blog, I really enjoy reading it.